Bursary Information

 16-19 Bursary


What is the 16-19 Bursary Fund?

The Government has set aside some money for schools, colleges, training providers and local authorities to allocate to young people who need financial support to stay on in further education or training. This is called the 16-19 Bursary Fund. There are two types of bursaries, guaranteed bursaries and discretionary bursaries.

It could help you with any education-related costs that may arise during the school year, including essentials like a meal during the day or transport to college. Or you may need extra help to buy additional books, clothing or equipment for your course, or pay for educational visits.

Guaranteed Bursary

A guaranteed bursary of £1200 is available to students who meet the criteria below. To qualify for this bursary award a student must be either:
in care (including unaccompanied asylum-seeking children)

§ care leaver

§ in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit in their own right

§ in receipt of Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments


When approved, the bursary will be paid monthly. The bursary may be paid ‘in kind’ – e.g. the
college may purchase equipment etc. on your behalf.  Payments will be sent by BACS to your Bank Account.

Discretionary Bursary

We welcome applications for the Discretionary Bursary award from students whose household income is below £21,000 per year. Please refer to section “Availability of Funding” below. The Discretionary Bursary Award is to help students with transport costs, equipment, trips.

Funding may be withdrawn for students who fail to attend regularly

When approved, the bursary will be paid monthly. The bursary may be paid ‘in kind’.  Payments will be sent by BACS to your Bank Account

Availability of Funding

The college will help as many students as possible with the funding available but will prioritise those in most need. At present we are uncertain of the number of applicants and funding available to the college for 2014/15 and therefore cannot guarantee financial assistance in every case but welcome applications.

Who can apply?

To apply for a bursary you must be aged between 16 and 19 and in full-time further education

How do I apply?

To apply for a bursary please see Mrs Dalton in the Finance Office for an application form.

Return your completed application form and all required documentation to Mrs Dalton in the Finance Office.

What do I include?

Please include with your application form photocopies of your current P60 or tax return if self-employed, pension income. All documentation for universal credit or working tax credit and child tax credit. All documentation for housing benefit, council tax benefit, job seekers allowance, disability living allowance and any other household income you may be in receipt of.

Also include a copy of your current Council Tax bill.

Failure to send all the necessary evidence will result in your application being delayed. Please remember to sign the form on completion.

I got bursary last year, do I need to re-apply?

Yes. You will need to collect a new form from Mrs Dalton at the start of the  school year.

How will my bursary be paid?

Your bursary will be paid by BACS into your bank account.  College may also make payments in kind which means instead of receiving money you could get meals or equipment for your course.

Can college tell me what to spend my bursary on?

Yes, your bursary is to help pay for things you really need to stay on at college. We can insist that your bursary is spent on travel costs, meals during the day or equipment for your courses.

Can I have help with the cost of trips or equipment?

Dependant on the number of successful applications and monies available we would like to be able to help students with some of the cost of essential college trips.

Can college stop my bursary payments?

Yes. You will be asked to sign a bursary contract which details the conditions under which your bursary will be paid. Typically these conditions will include attendance, lateness & behaviour.

If I can’t attend college because of illness, medical appointments or authorised absences will I still receive my bursary?

Yes. A parent or carer will need to phone College on 0161 980 2711 every day you are absent due to illness to authorise your sickness, or medical appointments.

Authorised absences will not result in your payments being withheld.

Holidays are not authorised absences.